Friday, August 26, 2011

Review: On Human Nature


On Human Nature
On Human Nature by E.O. Wilson

My rating: 4 of 5 stars



It is not surprising that On Human Nature receives a lot of criticism in the social sciences field. The solution he suggests is to effectively re-engineer the social sciences more thoroughly within the natural sciences. A process that would completely eradicate some current fields of academics (such as theology). While his delivery is crass in this sense, I do believe the book is worth reading and contains much valuable insight and knowledge. It is interesting to point out that the 1st dilemma he suggests human society faces is a need for what Paul Tillich calls faith. Though Wilson tries to rewrite it scientifically it is impossible to ignore this if you have read both authors. In this light I would say the question Wilson raises is valid, and the information he provides is vital, it is only his solution that I would disagree with (and only slightly). Basically what Wilson suggests is that we engineer culture to promote humaneness. The way he says it is different, and his method of doing this is different from what I would suggest. However, overall I think he is on the right path.



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment